In thinking about taking on the project I felt it would be exposing me more than I am used to. So just as an onion has many layers, so do each one of us (according to Shrek). It also ties in to photography as a tool I use in the editing process. By tackling this project I hope to grow personally as well as professionally during this next year. I will struggle with posting them each day, but will take the pictures and post them as soon as time allows. Enjoy the journey with me.

Friday, April 9, 2010

91 - I ♥ Canvas

I wish there was some way I could convey to people how important printing is to the enjoyment of a photograph. I am a cheapskate so I myself try to find ways to accomplish something for less money. My opinion on photo processing is different. I worked for a couple of photo labs for several years and have formed my opinion on the importance of choosing a stand alone professional photo lab. Now, don't get me wrong, I myself print off some snapshots here and there at the nearest "photo center", but nothing that I want to display on my walls for multiple people to see. I feel it more important when you pay a professional photographer because a good photographer has the knowledge to paint a picture of you using light, to create beauty and art. How would Michelangelo's sculpture of David have turned out if he used mud instead of marble, or how would a symphony sound if it were recorded on an 8 track?

Now, please take this information for what it's worth. Use it as you see fit. I just want to steer people in the right direction when enlarging photos for display. This is what I do, this is my passion. So I pass on my findings to you.

This is a picture that my latest client has enlarged on canvas and can I tell you, that I love canvas. I know, it is pricey, but it is so amazing how it makes a picture come to life and feel tangible. I have also gained a love for metallic paper. It gives a different feel to a shot.....a glisten and sheen that is so fun and captivating.



Sorry for the dreadfully long dialog.

1 comment:

  1. We've discussed this before, but I totally agree. Maybe it comes from working around photography, but doing it right makes all the difference!

    (p.s. it's been fun seeing you so much around the lab!)

    ReplyDelete